Follow Up: Car trouble…

So after some swearing, a vacuum test, and the advice of the good people over at the Ford Forums it turns out to be a bad hose.  One of the hoses in the picture (though you can’t tell it) had a nasty crack down the side on the end that connected to the sensor.  After getting new hoses, and another new sensor then putting it all back together, it has run flawlessly.  I’m really quite relieved, I was afraid the the cat converters were plugged and would have to be replaced, but it was just a simply hose.

Car trouble…

I hate cars, I really do. I know that mine is getting up there in age and miles really (10 years old with nearly 150k miles) but it still drives me crazy when things go wrong. This time, it’s the DPFE sensor. Don’t worry if you don’t know what that is, I didn’t either a week or so ago. Though now I have learned FAR more about the EGR system than I ever really cared to know.

Really, it’s not that the sensor has gone bad, it’s that it’s been melted, rather badly. This picture will likely show a bit better what has happened (click the image for a larger view):


Yeah, not cool.  I’m still trying to track down the problem but at this point, I believe it to simply be one of the two hoses pictures, more specifically, the one on the exhaust site of the orifice.  I bought the hoses and another sensor at NAPA but before I install it, I wanted to make sure that the cat converters aren’t plugged.  That could also cause excessive back pressure and do the damage shown.

What makes it worse, my car actually qualifies for the “Cash for Clunkers” program and I would get $4500 on a trade in.  The problem with this is that I can’t find the car that I really want….a black Jetta TDI, manual transmission, with a sunroof.  Really my car should run a fair bit longer so I really hate to give it up over a repair that costs a few hundred dollars.  Of course, if I do end up having to replace the cats, that’s another $350 or so if I do it myself.

It’s just driving me crazy….I laid awake for a while this morning just thinking about it and going over all the possible scenarios in my head.  I really believe it to just be the hose, but I don’t know that for a fact, and at $100 a pop for the sensor I don’t really feel like melting another one.  Tomorrow I plan to check the vacuum pressures to see if the cat converters are bad.  My hope is that they aren’t, and that simply putting everything back together (with the new hose) will solve the problem.

Anyway….just what I have been thinking about for the past few days….